My rating for the Janome MOD-8933: 4.5
The Janome MOD-8933 is a budget-friendly and durable serger for clean seams, allowing you to sew most materials from light fabric (cotton) to stretch knit (lycra) or even heavy fabrics (leather, denim). It is a sturdy workhorse and promises high performance and superior cost-effectiveness.
Most budget home serger only allows you to sew with two threads, which is great for creating delicate and beautiful edgings on ultralight fabrics. However, a 3-4 thread serger is designed for garment sewing and other general sewing purposes.
And this Janome MOD-8933 is a 3-4 thread serger, and this makes it an excellent entry-level serger for sewists new to the serging world. Most servers have a steep learning curve, and the complicated workings of the serge are a nightmare for beginners.
But the Janome MOD-8933 arrives with a user manual that offers stepwise instruction, which shortens the learning period considerably, making it one of the best simple and easy-to-operate sergers for novice and fashion design students in the market.
Also, the presser foot pressure of Janome MOD-8933 is adjustable, which increases the versatility of this serger and allows you to handle a variety of projects. Except for sewing ultralight fabrics, you can also use this serger to work with multiple layers and medium or heavy fabrics.
What I Like About
- Janome MOD-8933 serger is easy to use, and the assembly is straightforward, suitable for the first-time serger owner
- The color-coded threading guide is helpful and lets you get the whole serger thread effortlessly
- It’s an affordable and high-quality serger
- Although this serger is light in weight (14 pounds), it is durable and strong enough
- Being lightweight means it is also portable, and you can take this serger to workshops, classes, and meetups
- The accessories offered are of premium quality
- Differential feed helps prevents stretching and puckering on all fabric types. You can handle stretchy or puckery fabric more easily with the flick of a switch (turn the dial up). If you want to sew heavy fabric, just turn the dial down
- Easy accessible lower looper with pretension setting slider
- It comes with a tension release lever that can release the tension of all of the threads simultaneously, which make your sewing experience more comfortable
- With the ‘quick change rolled hem’ setting, you can switch to rolled hem stitching model easily and quickly by pressing the button
What I Don’t Like
- The machine tension is not automatic
- Lack of free arm, thus this serger is not suitable for large projects
Where to Find the Best Price